Bahrain Telegraph - French govt slams 'disproportionate' Canal+ riposte to anti-Bollore petition

NYSE - LSE
RBGPF 1.33% 62.51 $
CMSC -0.7% 22.82 $
RYCEF 1.76% 15.37 $
BCC -2.42% 66 $
GSK 1.63% 51.095 $
BCE 0.63% 23.97 $
VOD 0.99% 15.15 $
NGG 0.59% 84.34 $
RIO -2.01% 101.29 $
RELX -0.67% 33.735 $
JRI -0.79% 12.6 $
CMSD -0.53% 22.839 $
AZN 0.89% 185.58 $
BTI -0.23% 66.2 $
BP 0.76% 46.04 $
French govt slams 'disproportionate' Canal+ riposte to anti-Bollore petition
French govt slams 'disproportionate' Canal+ riposte to anti-Bollore petition / Photo: © AFP

French govt slams 'disproportionate' Canal+ riposte to anti-Bollore petition

France's government Tuesday waded into a row that has sent shockwaves through the domestic cinema industry after the head of France's biggest film producer, Canal+, said the group would no longer work with signatories of a petition against right-wing billionaire owner Vincent Bollore.

Text size:

Culture Minister Catherine Pegard described the comments by Canal+ chief executive Maxime Saada, made during the Cannes Film Festival, as "disproportionate" and said she understood the concerns of signatories.

The petition, initially signed by 600 industry professionals, urged a mobilisation against "the growing grip of the far right" on the film industry under the influence of Bollore and the Canal+ group.

Signatories included French star Juliette Binoche as well as director Arthur Harari, who co-wrote the Oscar-winning "Anatomy of a Fall" in 2023, as well as that film's prominent French star Swann Arlaud.

"This company's major role in cinema gives it a voice that matters," Pegard told parliament, referring to Canal+.

"I regret that the response -- disproportionate to say the least given to the very real concerns that have been expressed -- is only fuelling them," she added.

The minister said she had "heard the emotion, the concern being expressed in the film industry" and voiced hope that "reason and dialogue will prevail over threats".

- Upheaval -

Saada, speaking on Sunday, had described the petition "as an injustice toward the Canal+ teams".

He added: "I will no longer work with and I no longer want Canal to work with the people who signed that petition."

The uproar mirrors similar upheaval in the media and publishing worlds where Bollore, a conservative close to far-right politicians, is reshaping businesses he controls, from television channels to publishing houses.

In a sign of Bollore's divisive reputation, the Canal+ logo was booed in Cannes at some screenings this year, including for the opening film "The Electric Kiss".

Last month, more than 100 authors at the Bollore-owned Grasset publishing group, home to some of the biggest names in French literature, said they would leave after the ousting of its long-time CEO.

The aggressive expansion into the French media in recent years of the billionaire -- a devout Catholic who made his money in logistics -- has been cheered by conservatives as rebalancing what they see as long-standing left-wing bias.

Bollore's media stable now includes widely followed outlets including the CNews rolling news channel and Europe 1 radio, whose voices will be key in 2027 presidential elections where the far-right of Marine Le Pen scents its best ever chance of winning the Elysee.

L.al-Fardan--BT